If you have a WordPress website, then you might experience Upload Failed to Write File to Disk Error in WordPress at least once. The Upload: Failed to Write File to Disk Error is a common problem faced by many users. When you are trying to upload any file or other images to your site, this Upload Failed Error will arise. Fixing this error will create stress on your mind. To get rid of this error, read the article. Here we have given the easy ways to fix this WordPress error.
How to Fix WordPress ‘Upload Failed to Write File to Disk Error’ ?
When you upload any file or image to your WordPress site, this Upload Failed to Write File to Disk Error occurs. There are numerous reasons for the occurrence of this error. If you want to get out from this error then you need to read this article. Here we listed all the reasons and easy ways to fix this error.
What is Upload Failed to Write File to Disk Error in WordPress ?
If you are trying to upload images or any files to your WordPress site through admin area, this error will arise. When this error occur you will get a message like following error messages:
- WordPress has failed to upload due to an error Failed to write the file to disk.
- WordPress failed to write to disk.
- Unable to create a directory wp-content/uploads/2016/03.
Reasons for occurrence of Upload: Failed to Write File to Disk Error
There are many reasons for the Upload: Failed to Write File to Disk Error occurrence in your WordPress. Incorrect folder permissions are the main reason for the occurrence of Upload failed error. Have a look at the given clear description for getting complete details regarding Upload Failed to Write File to Disk Error.
Incorrect folder permissions
Every file and folder have a set of permissions for accessing. The web server of your WordPress site controls the access to the files and folders based on these permissions only. Incorrect folder permissions cannot allow you to write files on the server.
Memory Quota Exceeds
If you exceed the granted quota of space, then this error will arise.
No Space for tmp folder
If the tmp folder of the server does not have space, then the “Upload Failed to Write File to Disk Error” will occur on the WordPress.
How to Resolve Upload: Failed to Write File to Disk in WordPress ?
The possible solutions to overcome this upload failed error are provided here. Take a look at it.
Change permissions through FTP
- First, you can access your WordPress root folder through FTP.
- Click on the wp-content folder and select file permissions option.
- A new window will appear on the screen.
- Now, enter 755 in the Numeric value field.
- Next, check the box of Recurse into subdirectories.
- Click on the Apply to directories only option.
- Finally, Click on the OK button.
- Next, you have to change file permissions. So, you can click on the wp-content folder and select file permissions option.
- Permissions window will appear on the screen.
- Enter 644 in the Numeric value field.
- Now, Check the box of Recurse into subdirectories.
- Next, click on the Apply to files only option.
- Click on the OK Button.
- Now, you can open your WordPress admin area.
- Try to upload a new file or image to your WordPress site.
- Now, the image can upload without any error.
Change permissions through cPanel
- First, login to your cPanel.
- After successful login, click on the file manager available on the screen.
- Go to public_html/wp-content folder.
- The uploads file available here.
- Now, right click on the uploads file.
- Next, select permissions option.
- Actually, the file permissions should be 755. If the permissions are not 755 then change them to 755.
- Now, click on the change permissions button.
- The permissions are changed. Now, you can upload the image or any other file without getting upload failure error. In our site, you can also find the solutions for various WordPress theme Errors.
Memory Quota Exceeds
The users of web hosts share hosting plans to get packages in their budget. If you have low storage space and you upload file or images which can exceed that storage limit then this upload failed error will arise. When your storage quota is exceeded, the web host does not allow you to upload the image or any other file to your site. To overcome this error, you have to know how much storage space you have and how much storage space already you used. So, follow the given process to get these details.
- Login to your cPanel.
- Search for the Disk space usage on the left sidebar.
- In the Disk space usage, you can get storage space details.
- If you are exceeding the storage space then upgrade your storage space or delete unuseful files in your account.
- Upgrading storage space is the better choice for you.
Clear the tmp folder
If tmp folder is full with the newly uploaded files then also this Upload: Failed to Write File to Disk error will arise. Actually, the users do not have the access to tmp folder. So, you have to contact your web host for clearing data in temporary files.
As we know, when we get upload failure error, our work can be disturbed. So, make sure about the folder permissions. Check storage space and tmp folder for not getting Upload Failed to Write File to Disk Error on your WordPress site. I think, this article is helpful for you to get rid of the Upload: Failed to Write File to Disk Error. Stay connected with us for getting better guidance to your WordPress usage.