WordPress Security is a crucial thing for the WordPress Users. If you want to Secure your WordPress Website, then you need to know how to secure a WordPress website. Here we provide Easy ways for WordPress protection. Have a look at it and learn how to secure a WordPress Site.
Simple Ways for Securing WordPress Website
WordPress is the most popular Content Management system on the Internet which makes it a perfect target for hackers. If you have a WordPress site means that you need to take some extra efforts to protect your and your visitors data.
Here we provided simple methods to secure your wordpress website. These measures are not 100% protection against hacking attempts because there is no website exist with 100% security. But the given measures will protect you against the majority of hacking attacks.
1. Never use admin as a username to improve WordPress Security
Most of the hackers assume that your WordPress site admin username is admin. So, they can use a combination of admin and different password as Brute Force attacks. If you remove admin, you can kill the attack.
If you are starting a new WordPress site, while installing WordPress on your site you will be asked for the username. There you can enter a different name which is not admin. If you have a WordPress site, then follow the given instructions and learn how to change your WordPress username.
- Click on Add New option from the users section.
- Create a user with Administrator rights.
- Next, delete the admin user. You don’t worry about the pages and posts created by the admin user.
- Now, WordPress will ask you ‘What should be done with the content owned by this admin user?’.
- You can simply choose one option to assign it to a new user or delete all content option.
- Now, the WordPress username admin is successfully deleted.
2. Use a less common password
Many WordPress users are use phrases like ‘password’ or ‘123456’ for their WordPress admin login. Those passwords are guessed easily. A good tip for choosing a password is to use an entire sentence which makes sense to you, and you can easily remember. Such passwords are better than a single phrase password.
You can choose a password with a length of 20 characters and include less usual characters such as # or *. Those are difficult to guess for the hackers.
3. Adding Two-Factor Authentication to Protect WordPress
Even though, if you are using a strong password and not using admin as username then also Brute Force attacks still a problem. The two-factor authentication is one of the best ways to improve the WordPress Security of your website from Brute Force attacks.
The easiest ways for adding Two-Factor Authentication to your site is to use Clef to authenticate using your phone. The Clef authors have recently created an ad-free version of their WordPress plugin. Install that plugin on your WordPress and add Two-factor Authentication on your site.
4. Set a Limit to login attempts
The Brute Force attacks target is your WordPress Login Form. You can use All in One WP Security & Firewall WordPress plugin to change your site login form default URL (/wp-admin/). You can also limit the login attempts to login from an IP Address. There are many WordPress plugins available to protect login form from IP address.
5. Ensure that your website is on a secured WordPress hosting
The WordPress site is secured based on your hosting account. It is very important to be hosted with a company which has security as a priority. The features that are considerable while choosing a hosting company.
- Account isolation.
- Support for the latest MySQL and PHP versions.
- Intrusion detecting system.
- Web Application Firewall.
6. Make Sure your computer is free of malware and viruses
If your computer is infected with a malware software or virus, a potential hacker can gain your site login details. The Attacker can make a valid login to your WordPress site bypassing all the measures which you have taken before. That’s why it is very important to have an up-to-date antivirus program. And Keep all your computers security on a high level.
7. Hide wp-config.php file and .htaccess file
If you want to provide the best WordPress security for your site then you need to hide wp-config.php and .htaccess files. When you are using WordPress Yoast SEO, it is easy to hide. Follow the given steps and hide .htaccess and wp-config.php files from your WordPress site.
- Click SEO from you WordPress admin area.
- Go to Tools option.
- Select File Editor for editing your .htaccess file.
- Add the given code to protect wp-config.php.
<Files wp-config.php> order allow,deny deny from all </Files>
- And add this given code also to protect .htaccess.
<Files .htaccess> order allow,deny deny from all </Files>
- Next, click on Update file button.
- Now, the wp-config.php and .htaccess files are hidden.
8. Disable file editing for Securing WordPress
If the hacker gets in, the simple way to change your files through Editor under Appearance. To improve your WordPress Security, you have to disable writing of files through that editor. So, follow the given steps to disable writing files via the editor.
- Go to wp-config.php file.
- Next, Add the given code to that file.
- Now, the Editor is disabled to write files.
These are simple methods for WordPress Security on your website. Follow those and protect your WordPress site.
We hope this article helped you to improve security on WordPress site. If you face got any WordPress Error, visit our site and get a simple solution to resolve that WordPress Error. Stay connect with us to get Step by Step Guidance on WordPress.