Adding keywords and meta descriptions on WordPress is the most important thing. The keywords and Meta descriptions allow you to improve your WordPress website SEO. Here you can learn about Meta Keywords and Descriptions. Have a look through it and know how to add meta keywords and meta descriptions in WordPress properly.
Keywords and Meta Descriptions in WordPress
The Meta Keywords and descriptions allow you to tell search engines about the content of your pages and posts. If people are looking for the content you are publishing is identified by the Keywords. Meta description is a brief information of what your post or page is about.
What are Keyword and Description?
Actually, keywords and Meta Description are HTML meta tags. Those will be included in your website header part. Adding keywords and Meta Description to your WordPress post or page with WordPress SEO is super easy for you.
Importance of keywords and meta descriptions for SEO
The Search engine does not reveal how much weight they assign to meta keywords or description. The keywords and description are important and help you to rank better.
Some WordPress SEO experts believe that meta keywords are not important. Even Google also says that they don’t give priority to meta keywords. And some SEO experts disagree with this and advise WordPress users to keep adding meta keywords. Meta description is most important because you can use this description to grab people attention.
How to enable Meta Keywords Support in WordPress Yoast SEO?
The WordPress yoast SEO comes with a built-in support for meta description and meta keywords. By default, the meta keywords feature is turned off. If you want to use Meta Keywords then, you have to enable meta keywords on your WordPress website. Here, we well show you how to enable Meta Keywords on WordPress.
- Login to your WordPress admin area.
- Go to SEO section.
- Click on Dashboard option.
- General Yoast SEO Dashboard appears on the screen.
- Click on the Features tab.
- Now, you have to click on Enabled under Advanced settings pages.
- Next, click on save changes button.
- Now, WordPress yoast SEO settings page will reload and you can see different options under the SEO menu.
- Select Titles & Meta under SEO section.
- Click on other tab.
- Now, you have to click on Enabled under Use meta keywords tag?.
- Next, click on Save changes button.
- You have successfully enabled keywords support in WordPress Yoast SEO plugin for WordPress. Now, you can add meta keywords to your pages and posts.
Keywords and Meta Descriptions for WordPress Pages/ Posts
- First, you have to edit your WordPress page or post where you want to add meta keywords and description.
- Next, scroll down to Yoast SEO meta box below the WordPress post editor.
- Now, you will see automatically generated meta description as a snippet. Below the snippet, the meta keywords field is available.
- Enter your meta keywords separated by a comma and don’t use more than 10 meta keywords or phrases in a post or page.
- Ensure that you only use meta keywords that are relevant to your post content. You have to use those meta keywords or phrases inside your article.
- Now, click on the Edit Snippet button to enter your post or page description.
- The Snippet turn into an editable area.
- Ensure that the meta description must contain the main keyword at least once.
- Next, click on the close snippet editor button.
- Now, you will see your custom description on the snippet preview.
- You have added meta keywords and meta description successfully to your WordPress post or page.
- Next, click on Save or Publish button to store changes in your WordPress post.
Adding Meta Keywords and Description for Homepage
You can add keywords and description to your WordPress website home page. Here is the step by step process using Yoast SEO WordPress plugin. Have a look at it and learn how to add Keywords and Meta description to WordPress site home page.
- Click Titles & Metas option under SEO section.
- Titles & Metas page will appear on the screen.
- Now, click on the ‘Homepage’ tab.
- Here you are able to add a custom title, meta description and meta keywords for your WordPress website homepage.
- Click on Save Changes button to store your changes. If you forget to click on save changes button, you will lose you made changes.
Keywords and Meta Description for Category Archives
If you want to add Meta Keywords and Description to your categories and tag archive pages, then follow the given procedure. Here we have provided the steps clearly. Take a look at it and learn how to add keywords to WordPress category and tag archive pages.
- First, Click on categories option under posts section.
- Now, the categories page will appear on the screen.
- Choose one category and click on Edit option from that chosen category.
- Now, the category editor page appears on the screen.
- Next, scroll down to Yoast SEO meta box below the editor.
- Now, you have to click on Edit Snippet button to enter the description of the category.
- Click on Settings button to enter keywords to be used for that category archive pages.
- Next, click on Update button to store changes. If you forget to click on the Update button, you will lose changes that you made.
- You can repeat the same process to add Meta Keywords and description to your tags and other taxonomy archives.
We hope this article helped you to know how to add keywords and meta description to WordPress posts and pages easily. We recommend you to add custom meta description and Keywords to every WordPress blog post and page, that you create. If you face any problem with your WordPress site, then visit our site to get a simple solution for your WordPress problem.