A huge component of setting your business up for success is establishing and implementing a research process that has purpose and passion and can sustain your self employment idea. In order to start, expand, market and continue to gain some traction in your business, you will have to adopt a way of getting focused so that you can get it done. This can be difficult when working from home where you’ll frequently find yourself fighting off distractions. But don’t let it deflate your enthusiasm. You will eventually find a space where you’ll be aligned with purpose and passion and you’ll be shining so bright that the Jone’s across the street will begging to have some of what your having. Before you get a guide to create an online business, you have to build your foundation.
If You Want to Make Money Selling Online Get the Foundation
At first you’ll need to establish your objectives and define for yourself why you are doing research to begin with and what you want to accomplish as a result of that research.
If you’ve decided that you truly want to start a business online, the first step is finding a profitable idea. Therefore, begin with asking yourself questions that will help you narrow down your choices so that you can begin to dig deeper into whether or not your grand idea will be profitable.
For example consider the following questions:
- What does the work in implementing this idea entail?
- Will you be providing a service or delivering a product?
- Are there other businesses doing this and what are their business practices?
- If it is already out there, how can you make it better, different or offer your customers a more valuable experience?
- What does the overall competition look like?
- Can you run this type of business from your home?
- What lifestyle do you envision for yourself and does this idea fit with your vision?
- Do you want or need flexibility?
The number of questions that can surface are endless. Establish a starting point and move from there. It is very easy to become overwhelmed with too many ideas, choices or possibilities. The trick is to stop your rampant thoughts and just pick one thing to focus on that will direct you in some kind of direction. The worse feeling is to feel lost, disconnected and not know where you’re going. The only way to know if your headed in the right direction is when you actually take action. Then you’ll get a sense of what feels right.
It’s easy to quickly become paralyzed by trying to figure out the best way to start. You will always find a better way if you keep looking so in order to bring this searching process to a halt (for now), just start somewhere. Find a space that will give you the most opportunity to gain momentum. That typically means you should be engaging in something you enjoy in some way; otherwise, you’ll find yourself giving up quickly.
Zero in on something that you are skilled and passionate about on some level. You don’t necessarily have to feel passion about the business per say, but you can always find a way to infuse passion into the work. Find a way to get inspired. For example, some entrepreneurs are passionate about the innovative part of entrepreneurship regardless of the product. Others may feel passionate about the actual product.
If you work from a perspective of your strengths it will help you gain the confidence to battle the feelings of self-doubt that most entrepreneurs feel at some point in their journey.
Study Your Business Ideas From the Inside Out
Begin by putting a plan together to help you narrow down your choices.
First, check what resources (internet, books, magazines, etc.) you will need to start the research process and do some self-reflection to learn about who you really are. You may think you already know but you will be surprised at the things that shine through when you are actually doing some real soul searching.
If you don’t have awareness of your mindset and motivation, you will find it difficult in finalizing your decision. Reevaluate the concept you have of yourself. It amazes me how many times I hear from people, “I want to start a business but don’t know what.”
You will find your business to be more satisfying if you use a combination of your interests, your skills, beliefs and passion behind the build. In order to make a good decision on an idea you wish to implement, you need to have a solid awareness of who is standing in front of that mirror.
Now, self-reflection is not a prerequisite in starting a business but in my opinion, it is crucial. Your goal here is to stop dreaming of starting an online business from home and actually start one. Becoming aware of your strengths and weakness will offer some understanding and may help you develop solutions in bringing about some fruitful motivation to keep going when times get rough. This is quite important because you will be presented with plenty of opportunities to quit.
Research Tips for Great Ideas To Make Money
Research each option. Search on Google, You Tube, Amazon, Facebook, etc. Learn all you can about the ideas. Ask your friends and loved ones to help you brainstorm business ideas. As you are researching options, take a look at the following resources to help you in the process:
- Google Trends to see if a particular idea is trending up or down.
- Amazon to see what products or books are popular. You can read reviews and find out what people liked or disliked about a product and you can find holes in a market that you can fill.
- Forums to see what questions are being asked in popular topics. You can answer questions that will establish you as an authority in that space.
- Buzzsumo to see what topics are hot on social media and are being shared the most.
- Facebook groups to see if there are groups you could join to help you learn more about what your market wants.
- YouTube to see what videos have a lot of views and to study the psychology behind what draws people in what that particular video.